UPDATE: Summer Box Office Contest
I had a rough go of it this summer. My summer box office predictions were all over the map and I was way off on most of my guesses. I was close on Star Trek (11 million off) but I completely whiffed on "The Hangover" and also didn't give Sandra Bullock enough credit for "The Proposal".
As it stands, the Summer Box Office Top Ten is:
1 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen: $380,342,669
2 Up : $283,945,084
3 Star Trek: $254,089,632
4 The Hangover: $247,929,964
5 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: $225,318,990
6 X-Men Origins: Wolverine: $179,485,955
7 Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian: $173,108,283
8 Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs: $172,649,364
9 The Proposal: $140,919,419
10 Angels & Demons: $133,015,117
10. Wolverine - 205 million: I wrote, "I don't think it will make more than X3. I think it will have a huge opening and then drop by 65%." Not too bad. It fell 69% in the second weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't really figure that percentage into my actual prediction and the film's crapped out at 179 million.
9. Angels & Demons - 207 million: I really wanted to leave this off of my top 10 but I just thought that it was the film that proved me wrong so I went with it. It's still holding in at #10 but should get knocked out pretty soon. It only made 133 million.
8. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs - 210 million: I'm going to blame the recession. If there was no financial problems, the movie would have made closer to what I guess than the 172 million it's stuck at now.
7. Night at the Museum 2 - 218 million: Well, this and Ice Age are holding at #7 and #8 on the charts so was good wih that but I was, yet again, way over on this one, which has made 173 million.
6. Up - 220 million: On the bright side, I didn't overestimate this one. Instead I severely underestimated it as it's clocked 283 million so far.
5. Terminator: Salvation - 245 million: Stop. Believing. Trailers. This movie was garbage and ended up making about half of what I thought. It's at 124 million. This is probably the guess that I'm most happy about getting wrong.
4. Star Trek - 265 million: The proverbial nut to my blind squirrel.
3. 3. GI Joe: Rise of Cobra - 275 million: I think I should probably lower this one but I'm hoping it does well. I just bought stock options on Hasbro.
2. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - 310 million: Two weeks in, it's at 225 million but it had a pretty big second week drop so 300 million could be a reach.
1. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 335 million: Way off again, making 380 million.
So it's pretty obvious that I shouldn't quit my day job. Ah well. I can't wait until a few weeks when I can get started on the other thing I'm terrible at judging: fantasy football.